Join our Canadian Team!
Position Title: Director of Philanthropy
Position Type: Full-time permanent
Job Location: Flexible (Ottawa-based is an asset)
Reports to: Executive Director
Start Date: Early 2024
Help Lesotho is a non-profit organization registered in both Canada and Lesotho that delivers grassroots mental health support and training programs in rural communities in Southern Africa battling the impacts of AIDS, poverty, unemployment and gender-inequity. Our vision is that the youth of Lesotho have the agency and resilience to create healthy and self-sustaining futures.
Help Lesotho reaches more than 20,000 people in Lesotho annually with our transformative programming thanks to the generosity of individuals, foundations and corporations. Since 2004, the organization has raised $25M CAD. Our annual budget of $1.6M CAD is primarily composed of private donors and multi-lateral partners in Lesotho.
We are seeking a dynamic and strategic Director of Philanthropy to join our Canadian team and lead our efforts in securing financial support for our mission. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in developing and implementing comprehensive fundraising strategies, fostering meaningful donor relationships, and driving revenue growth to support our impactful projects in Lesotho. This position is responsible for overseeing and executing activities related to the organization’s Canadian revenue portfolio.
This position requires a passionate advocate for our beneficiaries who views this position as a calling, rather than a job. This is a role for a ‘doer’ who will join our small but effective Canadian team. The role is suited to someone who is innovative, someone who thrives on challenges and someone who loves to think and generate ideas rather than follow a formula. The Director will execute tasks independently with frequent small-team collaboration.
- In collaboration with the leadership team, establish strategies to achieve the private/public funding growth goals and key performance indicators of Help Lesotho’s strategic plan.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with a personal portfolio of existing and prospective donors, with accountability for personal revenue and activity goals.
- Support the Executive Director in the relationship management of top prospects.
- Establish a systemic, strategic approach to prospect identification and donor pipeline development and management by expanding and diversifying a network of prospective donors and partners.
- Oversee pipeline development, donor relations, stewardship, communications and marketing activities to create unprecedented levels of fundraising success.
- Develop actionable strategies for meeting and exceeding philanthropy goals through grants, sponsorships, gifts, donations, and fundraising events.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and CFO, prepare annual Canadian revenue budget.
- Track monthly fundraising, highlight anticipated deviations from budget and adapt tactics to respond to revenue shortfalls.
- Collaborate with the program team in the preparation of specific proposals to engage larger donors.
- Efficiently and effectively oversee mid/mass donors, to make effective use of the donor database, and in the preparation of marketing collateral to support fundraising initiatives.
- In collaboration with the leadership team, build the capacity of the team to achieve growth goals, within cost constraints.
- Actively partner with the Board of Directors and other senior-level volunteers to create strategies to maximize their positive influence on prospect cultivation and solicitation activity.
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, Master’s degree preferred in business administration or equivalent.
- CFRE designation considered an asset.
- 7+ years of successful not-for-profit fundraising.
- 5+ years of experience in managing fundraising teams towards excellence.
- Proven success at raising and retaining a $500K annual portfolio of major donors; comparable experience in corporate sales will be considered.
- Knowledge of non-profit sector and CRA fundraising rules and guidelines.
- Strong business knowledge, ability to think/strategize in a number of business environments.
- Exceptional knowledge of philanthropy strategies/public relations to build brand awareness and donor confidence.
- Strong technical and data analysis skills.
- Must be able to work occasional weekends and evenings as determined by donor availability and/or fundraising events.
- Must be willing to be flexible and adaptive to unexpected opportunities.
- Must be willing to work in-person with the Ottawa-based team on a quarterly basis.
- Must be willing to travel (primarily within Canada) to meet with potential donors.
- Must be able to work independently within a collaborative environment.
Help Lesotho is an equal-opportunity employer, offering a comprehensive benefit package within a stimulating, professional work environment that advocates for a healthy work/life balance. Salary range is competitive commensurate on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 21 2024. Please include “Director of Philanthropy Application – [Your Name]” in the subject.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To see a PDF of this job posting, please click here.